Monday, May 18, 2015

Syttende Mai!!! (2 Days)

Gratulere med dagen alle sammen!!!! Today Veronika and I went to Oslo for Syttende Mai so we had to leave on the 8:45 bus. She helped me put the silver on the bunad because I wasn't sure where it was supposed to go. I also had to wear 3 pairs of socks so the bunad shoes would fit, but I didn't care. We got to Oslo at 9:35 so we had 25 minutes to get to a good spot to watch the parade. So we made our way up Karl Johan's Gate (which is the main road leading up to the castle that the parade goes on). We found a spot fairly close to the entrance for the castle (maybe 1 block away). We watched about an hour and a half before deciding to just go up to the castle. Once you've seen an hour of the parade, you've pretty much seen it all except the Russ kids at the end. So we started making our way to the castle and it was so crowded we both felt like we were being molested by peoples' bags, flags, etc. Luckily, it only lasted about 10-15 minutes and we were free and at the top of the hill. So we found a good spot to take pictures and after our little photo-op we waved to the royal family and started heading back to the bus station. When we got there we bought some pølse (hot dogs, but they're a tradition to have on Syttende Mai) while we waited for the bus. After we got back to Moss I felt a little out of place because we didn't see a lot of people in bunads, but once we got closer to the mall more people were wearing them. We had decided to eat lunch/early supper at Solveig's Pizza and it was actually really good! The rest o the night we hung out in Veronika's apartment and while we were just sitting there, 7 Russ buses pulled up in our backyard and started blaring music. Thank God it only lasted an hour or so before they had their own little parade and the buses left. I stayed in the bunad until 8:30 when I couldn't handle the feeling of the wool on my legs anymore. Overall, spending Syttende Mai in Oslo was amazing and an unforgettable experience. Personally, I think it's a bigger celebration than the fourth in the states is.

Karl Johan's Gate looking up at the castle. 
We were on our way to finding a spot to stand.

Even the little kids dress up in bunads.

The beginning of the parade.

Part of the parade. I think this was the first group.

 School kids in the parade on the way to the castle.

Of course I took a picture of a baritone in one of the marching bands. 
Almost all of the baritones that were being played were silver.

After we finally broke through the crowd, this was the view of the castle.

The royal family. Left to right: Prince Haakon, Princess Mette Marit, Queen Sonja, and King Harald.

Here I am by the castle. Proof I wore a bunad and was really there!

My favorite picture of the day!

Of course Veronika and I took a couple selfies.


Another selfie. Once again Gratulere med dagen everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment