Sunday, January 25, 2015

Church

Today I went to church, I know it may be hard to picture, but I really did go. I decided not to sing with the choir this Sunday because I didn't feel comfortable with the songs yet and I had only been to two practices and never to a church service there. Of course I have no idea what the sermon, readings, songs, prayers, or anything was about or even said. The only thing I was able to figure out was when we were saying the Apostle's Creed because I was able to put together enough words. I was also able to figure out that the one pastor that spoke really like the word "og" which means and. I can't even say whether the service was all that different from the Lutheran services I am used to because I really have no clue what was being said or happening. After the service was done they had a small luncheon prepared so I had the traditional open-faced sandwich with some sort of desert bread stuff. It was good anyway. I sat next to Lita's husband Odd and talked with him for quite awhile. I also had a Norwegian guy come up to me and ask me if I was learning Norwegian here and I didn't catch anything he said the first time so I said "pardon me" and he just spoke a little slower and I was able to figure out what he was asking me. I was so proud of myself. Luckily that was the only thing he said to me in Norwegian. Then, a little later another lady from the choir asked me if I was learning Norwegian here (in Norwegian of course) and I said, "What did you say" and she smiled and said, "You aren't learning any Norwegian here?" So I started telling her and Lita how they don't have a Norwegian class or anything here for us American students to learn some Norwegian so the two of them decided that at choir practice they could try and teach me some Norwegian. Lita also said her husband Odd could teach me some Norwegian too. Once we finally left the church and I was back in the apartment, I decided to do some of my homework for my film class, which consisted of ready 43 pages from our book. That was torture for me. It took me nearly two hours to finish because I was trying to figure out what the heck it was even talking about and also because I hate reading so I would take little breaks and go on my phone. Once I finished reading I had a big assignment to do afterward as a kind of reflection about what I had just read, which took me another hour. Later on Natalie invited me to join her and 4 other students at Stallen (the student activity center) to play a game called Kahoot. It was really fun! It's a trivia game, so I obviously enjoyed it. I only lost 3 times and everyone was pretty annoyed with me at the end because I kept winning. When everyone had had enough of me winning they decided it was time to be done. When I got back to the apartment I sat down and wrote this and I think I'm going to watch "The Doctor" for my communications class after I take a shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment