Saturday, January 17, 2015

Lefse Day

Today I decided to go for a walk along the fjord and over to the island of Jeløy. It was about 35 degrees and partly cloudy, but it was still a beautiful day to go for a walk around town. It took me about and hour and half to make a loop and end at the mall where I had to get some groceries. I even walked by the main, old church in the center of Moss, which actually helped with choosing Moss's emblem. Every city in Norway has its own seal/emblem whatever you want to call it, and Moss's is a red shield with a crow in the center. The reason why it is a crow is because the church was burning down and evidently a murder of crows circled above the church warning the people that the church was burning down. The people of Moss were able to save the church and decided to put a crow on their city's emblem. After my walk, Natalie, Brigitte, and I all sat down and worked on some homework together for about 3 hours and then Natalie decided it was time to go to the store to get the items we needed for making lefse. She really didn't need to get anything for hers because she used a weird "healthy" recipe, but I needed to get everything for my mom's recipe. Once we got back we immediately started boiling the potatoes for my recipe and she started preparing hers. Her recipe consisted of eggs, sour cream, and whole wheat flour. It was weird and I don't know how else to describe it. She thought it was weird that my lefse had so many potatoes, which she actually didn't know was in lefse. Of course I had to Skype my mom to find out how much of the ingredients to put in because I didn't remember any of that when she taught me this fall. After I had made a couple all three of us tried mine and Natalie's and we all agreed that mine was the best because it tasted like actual lefse, but Natalie's still tasted okay. After we had cleaned up our lefse mess, I did some laundry and watched some Netflix.

The island of Jeløy once I had reached the end of the canal.

Looking out toward the fjord from the mainland of Moss.

Making lefse with Brigitte (the one taking the picture), myself (the one with the ponytail), and Natalie (the one with the white shirt).

My lefse.

Natalie's lefse.



1 comment:

  1. Good job Katie at making lefse and comments on the Blog
    Love Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete