Monday, January 12, 2015

Last Day of Freedom!

Classes start tomorrow, so today was our last day of freedom. We had a meeting at noon today to talk about registering for classes and then we had the rest of the day to ourselves. So after our meeting, Lita picked me up and brought me shopping to buy some dishes and silverware to use here and hopefully bring home with me. We went to the Salvation Army and another second-hand store, but they were overpriced (at least according to Lita), so she brought me to the "Pier 1 of Norway" which I got all my dishes at for half price! She took me to the mall after that, which is where I found my silverware also half price. She brought me back to my apartment and told me she would pick me up in 2 hours to go with her to be in her church choir. In the meantime, I had remembered that I still needed tablets and pens for school tomorrow so I had to walk back to the mall. It was the first time I was shopping all by myself, so it was a little nerve-racking, but I think I did a terrific job because I never spoke English or asked the cashiers what they had just said. When I got back, my roommates had just come back from their walk and surprised me by asking if I want a bunad or know what it is. So of course I said yes, that I absolutely want one and Brigitte said her mother makes them! I wanted to talk to her more about it, but I had to go to choir practice with Lita. When Lita and I got to the church Lita introduced me to everyone and no one really would speak English with me, which Lita told me afterward that everyone was too embarrassed about their English skills to speak to me. The choir practice itself didn't go as bad as I thought it would, especially considering everything was in Norwegian and everyone was speaking Norwegian, except of course Lita. Overall, I wish my day had gone by a little slower so I could have really soaked in my last day without homework/school, but it was still a fun day.
My school when I was walking to the mall.

The beginning of my street walking back from the mall.

3 comments:

  1. Enjoy reading your blog. You have a talent for sharing your experiences. Looks like of dark for your walk back from the mall. Is your daylight hours on the short side? Good to hear you connected with Lita. And a Bunad? Really, how exciting for you. If we don't comment a lot, just know we are reading and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We only have about 7 hours of sunlight here, it usually rises at about 9 and sets at 4. I'm glad my parents are the only ones reading my blog! :)

      Delete
    2. Good job on the Blog buddy, If you get a chance see if they have a cooking class you can take it might help with your limit of food selection. Enjoy every day of this experience it will be one step in build block of life. Love Dad and Mom.

      Delete