Thursday, January 29, 2015

Samspillband

Natalie and I didn't have school today so we decided to go to the mall together since I desperately needed groceries and she needed to get a gift for Veronika because it's her birthday tomorrow. So when we got to the mall we decided to look for a piece of jewelry for Veronika first, which was a bad idea for me to go with since I wanted everything that even remotely looked like a diamond. Now I'm set on buying some jewelry tomorrow. Then, we went grocery shopping so I got all stocked up again and they even had Twix and Snickers in Rema 1000 so of course I bought one of each. The Twix did not taste like the U.S. version at all, which I was expecting it to taste a little similar at least. After we got back from the mall and I unpacked all my groceries, I sat down and did some homework for a couple hours. I made myself some supper and then met Lita in the parking lot to go to Samspillband. The Samspillband is a band here in Moss (well technically Rygge) that is for people with disabilities. They have volunteers that come and play with the band, help with the sound system, help with the people stay on beat, and some people who just come to listen and support the people playing. It was a really great experience and I definitely plan on going back. This is a terrific group of people who put this together and you can tell that everyone who comes to be a part of the band really enjoys it and they feel comfortable there and not ashamed. Everyone was very nice to me, but most of the disabled people were a little wary around me because I was new and didn't really speak Norwegian. However, when I was talking to the director, who also started the band, somehow we ended up talking about May 17th (Norway's Constitution Day) and I told him I made sure to be here for it, but I was disappointed that I don't have a bunad to wear. He proceeded to tell me that I could probably borrow one from his mother because she has 3!!!! He said she has his wife's (who passed away) and she was about the same size as me. I really hope he lets me borrow a bunad for Syttende Mai! When the band was over I came back and finished up my homework and watched a little TV before going to bed.

2 comments: