Friday, April 17, 2015

Shopping in Rome

Man did we do a lot of walking today! Our plan was to go to Chinatown and then to the main shopping street. So we set out for Chinatown only to find out that the roads we were going to take we're all closed. We did however get a terrific view of the city because we were at the top of a mountain. So we found a new route that didn't look so bad because we figured we could cut through a park. Well the park turned out to be a nature reserve so we couldn't even go in it. We ended up walking all the way around it and then we got lost again because the road we were going to take didn't have a sidewalk. So we decided to take a different road, which had a sidewalk, but it was pretty sketchy and right along a major road. We had to go across this bridge and the walking path got so narrow we didn't know if we would make it through and by the time we got to the end of it we had to climb up on a wall and jump to get to a sidewalk again. We walked for about 5 more minutes and we were back to actual civilization where peoe were walking around. We never found Chinatown, but we were able to find the shopping street (2 hours after we had left the hotel). We spent the rest of the afternoon shopping on that street. I bought one shirt for 12 euros and then gelato, but that was it. The gelato I bought was from an actual gelato place where locals go and it wasn't geared toward tourists, so it was amazing. I got strawberry and there were actual seeds in it, it was so delicious. Natalie made quite a haul while we were shopping though. Around 3:30 we were both so tired of walking that we decided to make our way back to the hotel; however, I was looking at the shops across the street and saw Tiffany & Co. and forced Natalie to go in with me. I have fulfilled another lifelong dream of going inside an actual Tiffany's store. It was heaven! I almost bought a charm when we were in there but Natalie luckily talked me out of it. The store was connected to a mall so we went in and it was a super high end mall. The cheapest brand I saw in the entire store was Clinique makeup. After that little side trip, we started for the hotel again. We got back to the hotel around 5:45 and sat for awhile because we were both so sweaty and tired. Then we decided to go to a park and sit in the sun for awhile and go out for pizza afterward, but the park we found was closed to the public and no restaurants open until 7:30. So we just went back to the hotel and had fruit and bread with peanut butter for supper. Tomorrow we are going to The Vatican and I could not be more excited. I don't know why I'm so obsessed with The Vatican because I'm not Catholic, but I am for some reason. 

Here was the view of Rome from the top of the mountain (you can see St. Peter's Basilica in the distance). 

My strawberry gelato that was amazing. 

Me standing outside my one true love. 

This is the Carnival mask I bought in Venice. I decided to try it on today. 




No comments:

Post a Comment