Wednesday, April 1, 2015

City and Eiffel Tower Tour

My God did I do a lot of walking today, I don't even want to look it up on Google about how much I did walk today. I had a walking tour of Paris, which was really great because it ended up being a private tour because I was the only person on it. My guide was really nice and knew so much about the city. We started at the Eiffel Tower and went across the river to Place de la Concorde, which is where the oldest monument in the city is (an obelisk that is 3,300 years old from Eygpt). Place de la Concorde is also the largest place in Paris. From there we went to The Louvre and since I had already been there, we didn't spend a whole lot of time there. Then we walked across the "love bridge" which they have had to board up the sides because all of the locks are started to weigh the bridge down too much. Then we walked to Notre Dame, which is where we parted ways. I went inside the cathedral for a quick tour (I made it quick because it was so crowded). Then I walked back to The Louvre, which is where I bought some lunch. I finally tried a french baguette  and a crêpe with Nutella; they were both delicious. Then I walked back to the Eiffel Tower and tried some French ice cream, which was also amazing. Then I walked around until I found the place where my tour was meeting. I was well over an hour early to check in for the tour so instead I walked around the street and explored some. Then my feet and legs started to hurt so I decided to just go back to the tour place and charge my phone and sit for awhile. Then my tour of the tower started. My guide knew pretty much every single detail about the tower. Just a couple of quick facts about it: it was built for the 1889 World Fair and was designed by Gustave Eiffel (who actually funded 80% of it). One of the requirements for it was that everything about it had to be French, so when Eiffel found American engineers that said they could build the type of elevator he wanted, he got them French citizenship so he could use them. It is 324 meters tall (I went all the way up to the top at 281 meters). The tower has beautiful views of the city, but it was super windy and cold up there. By the time I was at the very top I pretty much looked around, took a couple of pictures, and booked it out of there. When I finally got to the bottom, I had told myself I would just get a taxi to get back to my hostel because I was so cold and my feet and legs hurt so bad. Well, that did not happen. I started walking to find a taxi and started to warm up a bit and I ended up walking all the way back to my hostel. I went to a cafe right next to my hostel for a quick supper. Then, I came back to my hostel and trled some macaroons I had bought on my way back. I guess they're okay, but I personally don't see what the big deal about them is. I think there are some norwegian treats that taste way better than these. One of the colors I tried even tasted like a sandbakkel. Well at least now I can say I've tried them. 

Here's the Eiffel Tower (just in case you don't already know what it looks like) :)

Here is the obelisk in Place de la Concorde. 

Notre Dame from outside while I was waiting in line. 

Inside Notre Dame. 

This was when I was waiting to take the elevator up to the top (I was on the 2nd floor). 

Here is the view of Champ de Mars from the top of the tower. 

This is a church one of the King Louis built and the top is made of real gold. This is also where Napoleon is buried. 








1 comment:

  1. Buddy, we had a great tour with you in our warm house in Badger, we our glad you are able to see all these attractions in real life now and write about them in your blog, Love Mom And Dad

    ReplyDelete