Friday, February 6, 2015

FredsLab and Fastelavnsris

Today for my Women and Children's Rights class, we had to go across the street to old factory building, which they have turned a room into an interactive game (FredsLab). The group is planning on having schools in the Moss region come and participate, so we acted as their "guinea pigs" and played the game. The game consists of two fictional countries that have been at war for over 40 years and Norway steps in as a mediator; therefore, at the beginning we were spilt up into groups, each group representing a country. The goal of the game is to reach some sort of peaceful agreement between the two countries. The entire game was in Norwegian, my group wasn't exactly the greatest at translating everything that was going on, and I had to leave early for another class, so my experience there was pretty boring and I would have rather sat in class hearing a lecture. After my composition class was done, I had to walk over to the church to help Lita set up for the kids activity night. Once everything was set up I pretty much just sat there until we started making the Fastelavnsris, which is birch branches tied together with feathers all over them and you take them home and put them in water so by Easter they have new blooms to represent new life. After we had made those and had supper they did a raffle, which according to Lita is a very Norwegian tradition, and I actually won some blocks that spell out home.When everyone had finally left and we were able to take everything down and put things away, Odd brought me home. However, once I got back in the apartment and put my prize and fastelavnsris away, I went directly to the grocery store. I desperately needed groceries because I haven't gone to the store for over a week now, so it was a very long list of things I needed. Once I was back and had made some supper, I basically sat in my room watching some TV since I know I'll be doing homework pretty much all day tomorrow.

This was my fastelavnsris.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Katie:

    Try this again. I like your fastelavnsris..... this reminds me of Hild Hildahl. I remember her doing this around spring time as a sign of life after a long winter.

    Thanks for the Skype lesson!!

    ReplyDelete