Sunday, February 8, 2015

One Month Down!

I have officially been in Norway for one month now! I'm surprised how fast it went by and I also think the rest of my time here will go by like the blink of an eye. So far I'm not homesick or anything; I'm actually dreading having to leave Norway because I absolutely love it, but I think four months from now I'll probably be ready to go home. Anyway, back to today. I had to go to church today because our choir was performing and I wasn't even nervous once church started because there were maybe 10 other people in the church that weren't singing in the choir. The service went well for the most part; however, at the end when our choir director was playing the song the pastor walked out to, things got a bit weird. I recognized the song as soon as he started playing it, but I couldn't remember what song it was so I figured it was just a common hymn I had heard a lot. Then, when he started playing the chorus I realized he was playing "I Dreamed a Dream" from Les Miserables! That was the weirdest thing and Lita told me afterward that he does that all the time, he has played "My Way", "Tears in Heaven", and even a children's song about clowns! Growing up in a very traditional church, that was quite a shock to me. After church, Lita and Odd invited me to join them and their daughter Mie to have lunch at McDonald's for Morsdag (Mother's Day). So I said yes of course because that meant one less meal I had to cook for myself. It was really fun and I think they enjoyed learning more about me, such as the fact I'm an only child (which I thought they already knew). After we had finished lunch, they dropped me off at my apartment and Lita gave me lasagna, salad, garlic bread, and chocolate chip cookies so I wouldn't have to worry about cooking a meal while I'm busy doing homework. I'm really beginning to love Lita. Once I got back, I had zero motivation to do anything so I basically just sat around doing nothing the rest of the evening. I did talk to my roommate Natalie for an hour or so and found out that her and Brigitte had won tickets to go to the Fifty Shades of Grey premiere here in Moss! Natalie was very excited because not only do they get to attend the premiere for free, but they also get complimentary snacks during the movie and a gift bag from Amfi (the mall here), which every store in the mall put something into. Later on, I tried knitting some more and I think I'm a lost cause.  I looked at how many stitches I had managed to drop and it turned out to be 7 stitches. I hope on Friday when the ladies from the church help some of us with knitting, they can help me because I all want to know is how to knit Norwegian mittens. I don't care if I learn how to knit anything else as long as I can knit mittens. Also, I decided to have some of the Hershey's chocolate I had brought with and it tasted bitter to me! I've gotten so used to the Freia chocolate, which is much more milky and sweeter than American, that I don't really like the Hershey's chocolate. I think I'm going to suffer going back home and not having the good Freia chocolate in the grocery store.

No comments:

Post a Comment