Monday, March 30, 2015

London to Paris

I took the train from London to Paris today and was actually surprised at how little time it took. It was only a two and a half hour ride, but my ride to Edinburgh was almost five hours. I asked the person working the front desk at my hostel how to get to London St. Pancras and he told me to go to the Victoria station and buy an oyster card just for this one trip. So I just said thanks and hailed a taxi around the corner. Then I went through security and customs before boarding my train. I tried to stay awake for as long as possible but it didn't happen, I was so tired (it was daylight savings time this morning). We were going through so many tunnels, I had no idea which one was the actual English Channel tunnel and I just remember opening my eyes after one tunnel and seeing s bunch of French flags flying. Then I fell asleep again for about 45 minutes and stayed awake for the rest of the trip into Paris. I personally like the English, Scottish, and Norwegian countryside better than the French countryside I saw; however, I know this isn't the best area for beautiful countryside in France. After my train arrived at the station I was starving so I bought a chocolate crossaint, which was delicious. Then when I walked over to the taxi queue, I found out that well over half of the taxis were motorcycles. All of the normal cars were occupied so I was decided what the heck why not take a motorcycle taxi. So I had my first motorcycle ride today and loved it. It was such a beautiful day out and it was just really fun to be driving through the streets of Paris on a motorcycle. After I got to my hostel I checked in and put my backpack in the luggage room before heading out to The Louvre, which I took a normal car taxi to. I went and checked in with my tour and got my audio tour (I never used it though) and then walked across the street to the Jardin des Tuileries, which is just the garden outside the Louvre. I spent a little bit of time in the gardens first because it was so beautiful and nice out. Then I decided to head up to the museum and start my tour. I had pre planned what I absolutely wanted to see and that's pretty much all I saw. There were so many tours going on and so many peoe and I just could not handle it, I do not enjoy crowds of people. So I fist went to Napoleon's Apartments, which were very gaudy and ornate. Then I saw the Vensus de Milo before heading to the Mona Lisa. I'm just going to throw this out there, but my god were the Asians there super pushing. It took me forever to get to the front to take a picture and they kept trying to push me out of the way. Once I got a decent enough picture I could live with I booked it out of the museum. I was pretty hungry at this point because the museum is huge and I had spent a lot of time and energy trying to find my way around. So I went to the museum cafe and bought some chicken, fries, and a coke, which was all really good. Before I left I bought some chips for later. Then I went back outside to take some more pictures of the museum and park. After I walked around a bit and returned my audio guide, I decided to head back to my hostel and I was determined to find it on my own. Before I had left I had grabbed a map and the desk clerk had highlighted where the hostel was. So when I set out I thought I was doing really well and then I took a quick detour to look at the gardens around the Palais Royal, which were just as beautiful as the ones by the Louvre. Then I set out again still determined to find it, but then I got a little lost; however, I had found some church and metro station so I told myself that I had everything under control because I knew where I was (or so I thought). I think I circled that metro station about three or four times before deciding to just go straight down a road. Then I started to see stores I remembered seeing on my way to the hostel the first time, so I was totally cofident again. Then I came across what I think is Tour Saint Jacques (not really sure though) and was lost again. So I finally broke down and hailed a cab. It was starting to rain and I had been wandering around for two and a half hours. I had actually walked by the street to my hostel so many times without even knowing it. Oh well, I don't really mind because the city has really beautiful architecture so I was fine with getting lost until my feet stated to hurt. Tomorrow is Disneyland Paris and I'm super excited! That's pretty much the main reason why I wanted to come to Paris. 

One of Napoleon's rooms

There is the Venus de Milo

Here is my picture of the Mona Lisa that I basically had to fight my way in for. 

Here is the famous pyramid, which is the way in and out of the museum, along with part of the museum in the background. 

The view of the Jardin des Tuileries from the riverside. 

The garden at Palais Royal

Here was the church next to the metro station when I was lost. 

Here is the monument that I think is Tour Saint Jacques (unless it's a street name or something) when I was lost again. 








1 comment:

  1. You're being sooo adventurous!! YOLO Love, Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete