Sunday, March 29, 2015

Windsor Castle, Stonehenge, and Bath

It wasn't a very nice day weather wise at all. We started the tour at Windsor Castle, where it was raining and a little windy. We got there a little early so we had to wait about 15 minutes to get into the security building before starting out actual tour. Windsor Castle is the largest permanent residence in the world and I'm very jealous of Queen Elizabeth that she gets to live there. I also found out while waiting to start the actual tour that castles were military fortresses first and foremost and palaces were for showing off your riches and status. When we finally got into the castle our guide brought us over to the entrance for the Doll House, which where the tour of the castle basically starts. The doll house is a huge doll house that took a year and a half to make because everything is real; the toilets actual flush and work, it has real carpets, etc. Next you move on to the art gallery, which isn't that big of a deal to me because I'm not much of an art buff, so I made it through there fairly quick. Then it was on to the state rooms. They are absolutely gorgeous! Everything about them is so stately and ornate. I loved them, I want to live there. After I finished my tour I took a selfie with the palace guard of course and then went and bought some lunch before returning to the coach. Then since Stonehenge  isn't fun to go to in rain, we went to Bath. We went there to see the Roman Baths (England was once ruled by the Romans). We actually saw the last Catholic Church ever built in England there too. The entire town has a law stating that all buildings in the town limits have to have the exterior made out of the local limestone; so the entire town is one color. We saw the Roman Baths, which were kind of cool because they are the only thermal spas in all of the UK. I even drank some of the spring water, which tasted like normal well water to me except really warm. Once everyone was done it was off to Stonehenge. Now, while we were in Bath, it had quit raining and had become a little more windy. By the time we got to Stonehenge, it was partly cloudy/sunny with pretty much straight line winds. I don't know how many times I was either literally pushed to a stop by the wind or almost knocked over. Before we were at Stonehenge I figured it was just a bunch of rocks that no one really knows why or how they got there. After the tour, I found out I was right. The only thing they absolutely know is that there used to be human sacrifices there, lovely. My tour guide had his theory that he stuck to, but for all I care aliens put them there. :) It is actually pretty neat to look and and imagine how old it is. After we all hurried back to the coach for shelter from the wind, we had a hour and 40 minute ride back to London. I was dropped off at the Victoria train station, which I had never been to, and I managed to find my way back pretty easily. Overall this was a great day and I learned a lot of fun facts and saw a lot of historic English sites (even though the only reason I signed up for this tour was to see Windsor Castle). 

The courtyard inside Windsor Castle. 

The round tower (the oldest part of the castle) 

There's my selfie with the guard. 

The Roman bath from the top terrace. It's green because of how dirty it is. 

Here is a view of Stonehenge from the most complete side. 

Just a closer up picture of it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment